8 weeks post-op...

Amazing. I am 8 weeks post-op today! I am relieved to say it was just like everyone told me it would be. They all said the first 2 months would be hell, and then you get a huge drop in your pain levels and really begin to see major progress around 6-8 weeks. There are people who have a much harder and longer time in the beginning stages, and I am so thankful I was not one of them.

I went out to dinner last night with my husband for the first time in 8 weeks. It was only the 4th time I've gotten in a car in the last 2 months, and I was thrilled to go! I actually didn't feel too bad, even though I did have some residual nerve pain in my left leg, and my stamina is not completely back (I was wiped out by the time we got home, and we were only gone around 4 hours). I am also having to re-learn how to get in and out of the car, I am not used to my 5 feet 10 inches yet, and couldn't seem to get into the car without hitting my head every time. It's also a challenge because I don't bend like I used to. Next time you get into your car, try to get in without bending your back at all, twisting, or hitting your head. Not the easiest thing! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it the more I'm able to leave the house. Like I said, this was only my 4th time!
Almost as great as going out was putting on real clothes! I put on actual pants, did my hair, and put on makeup. It's been so long since I have worn anything besides pj's, picking out an outfit to wear was like going shopping in a store where everything is brand-new! I am looking forward to getting out of the house more and more, though I will be restricting my outings to a few hours at a time, and try to do things that involve either sitting on cushy chairs or walking around.

I am walking almost every day for around 45 minutes, and am walking as far as I could walk pre-op. I'm amazed I can do that already. It also makes me realize how much pain I was living with pre-op. I think I'll be able to walk further and longer pretty soon than I ever could have before I had this surgery. What a blessing!

We finally decided to bite the bullet and hire some help to clean our house. It is frustrating not being able to do those simple things, especially when it is costing us money to have someone else do it. But I have to remember I will get to a point where I will be able to do a lot of those household chores again. And the ones I won't be able to do, well, I couldn't do them pre-op either (ie. cleaning the shower has been impossible for about 2 years. If I tried to do even the most superficial cleaning, I would be flat on my back for a whole day afterward, so that was Drew's job, along with vacuuming, and mopping.) I will admit, I am loving having the help! My house is so clean, and I don't have to lay here and see the dust bunnies holding a convention under the coffee table anymore.

Click the photo to see it larger
Overall, I am doing very well and learning how to live with my new body. Some things are still frustrating, and other things have gotten easier (like putting on my shoes and socks!). My swelling is gone, and you can really see a difference in my back. As you can see in this photo, my shoulder-blades are clearly defined now at 8 weeks post-op. My swelling was so severe before it distorted my scar and you could hardly see my shoulder blades. Looking at where I was pre-op and where I am now, I am just blown away. This is the hardest thing I've ever gone through physically, mentally, and emotionally, but it was well worth it.

3 Response to "8 weeks post-op..."

  1. Julian Says:

    Amazing!!! God Bless You I am so happy your doing better!

  2. ash Says:

    Wow, I ran across your blog researching the cause of scoliosis and the recent findings of the CDH7 gene and how it may cause scoliosis. I too have had numerous surgeries and harware removal due to my scoliosis and am currently fused from T2 to L4. I have two herniated discs and constant hip pain from the removal of bone to fuse my spine for the first surgery. I have yet to run across anyone who has had some what of the same struggle. I hope your doing well now and are done with surgeries. It would be nice to get some feed back on how your doing after your last surgery! Its always nice to find someone to relate to! Ashlie

  3. Rebecca Says:

    Hello Ashlie, I'd love to connect with you. Please just email me via mytroubledbones@yahoo.com and I'd be happy to start a correspondence! -Blessings, Rebecca

Post a Comment