easy does it...

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:09 PM Posted by Rebecca
Well, I've come to a strange part of my recovery. I am no longer in tons of pain, which is wonderful. I have been weaning myself off the hydrocodone, and think I should be only taking it at night by the end of next week. I am still taking a muscle relaxer every 8 hours, and will probably continue to for a few more months. I am so grateful to have had such a smooth recovery, and to be doing so well overall.

The strange part is that I am not in a ton of pain, but I am still unable to do a lot. I found that out the hard way last week. My cabin fever got the best of me, and I did waaaay too much 3 days in a row and wound up really irritating my bad nerve.(I have a nerve that is still not completely healed from a herniated disc over 3 years ago, which causes painful sciatica down my left leg.) How I "overdid it" was walk for 45 minutes outside, go look at a new car (we're in the process of buying a new car for me), and go out to dinner all in one day. Not actually a whole lot compared to what most people do every day. But then I did basically the same thing 2 more days in a row. I could tell my leg was hurting, but I didn't want to slow down. I am still paying for it over a week later. My doctor says nerves are the slowest healing parts of our bodies. They heal at about a rate of a millimeter a MONTH. ugh. I could use your prayers for that nerve. It's very frustrating to have that pain, especially because my back pain is so minimal, if my nerve wasn't hurting I would hardly be in pain at all! I did call my doctor just to make sure I didn't mess anything up, but he reassured me that I had just overdone it, and reminded me that my body is still adjusting and that nerve in particular is very sensitive. It mostly hurts when I'm sitting up, it doesn't bother me much when I'm walking or laying down. I really hope it calms down soon!
Charlie and I during some "down" time
I have been able to go back to work (I work from home) part time, and that has been wonderful. Being able to occupy my mind and feel like I'm accomplishing something has been very encouraging. My days right now consist of alternating between wearing my bone growth stimulator, doing walking laps around the house, and laying down resting for an hour or two at a time. When I have the stimulator on, I try to do things that require being up, like folding laundry, eating meals, or taking short walks. I am now able to very carefully unload the dishwasher (if the dishes aren't too heavy) and I managed to cook my first meal since my surgery last night! And by cook I mean use my crockpot. I made a yummy chicken dish that is super easy. I don't think I'll be using the oven for a while, it's too hard for me to get things in and out and I think it would be dangerous. The crockpot is perfect because it sits on the counter, and I don't have to bend to reach it. I did discover it's too heavy for me to move or clean, so Drew will have to help me with that. But at least I can make dinner!

Here's what I made last night, I call it "Crockpot Spicy Chicken"

  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 1/3 Table spoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 1 lb boneless chicken breast
  • 2 cups water
Mix ingredients and pour over chicken in the crockpot. Cook on Low for 4 hours. And that's it! Super easy. If I can do it on drugs, you can do it no problem =)

I usually serve it with brown rice mixed with vegetables, but I didn't have any rice so I made whole wheat noodles instead, and it was pretty good. I do like the rice better though.

It's hard finding the right balance between doing as much as I can, and overdoing it. But I am happy to be able to do simple things more and more. Not being able to take care of yourself is challenging, and I am reminded every day what a blessing it is that I will not always be where I am right now. 

0 Response to "easy does it..."

Post a Comment